Given current concerns about the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19), the purpose of this Member Alert is to provide advice and guidance for API Members in relation to their interaction with clients and the public whilst undertaking professional services. Whilst this Member Alert relates specifically to valuers and property inspections, the advice below is considered good practice for all Members who come into direct person-to-person contact with clients and the public.
Valuers should take appropriate action to ensure their health and safety. With regard to current concerns about Coronavirus (COVID-19) the API recommends that Members familiarise themselves with the latest Australian Government Department of Health guidelines available here.
Members should follow health authority advice, including self-isolation/quarantine, if they have travelled through an identified high-risk country or suspect they have come into contact with someone who has contracted Coronavirus.
The API recommends Members put in place appropriate procedures to identify whether there is a potential risk of exposure to Coronavirus when providing professional services. The API recommends that prior to agreeing to undertake an inspection, valuers undertake appropriate questioning including asking:
- If any recent visitor to, occupant of the property or anyone that the valuer will be meeting at the inspection is subject to a quarantine order by health authorities, and
- If any recent visitor to, occupant of the property or anyone that the valuer will be meeting at the inspection is subject to self-quarantine or self-isolation protocols in line with Australian Government Department of Health recommendations.
The answer provided should be noted on the valuer’s file.
The API advises members not to proceed with a property inspection is it falls into one of the above scenarios and should not be expected to do so by the instructing party. Valuers should refer the matter back to the instructing party advising that they are unable to proceed with the valuation whilst the ‘quarantine order’ or isolation period is in place.
Members should also take care to adhere to general health advice including:
- Covering the mouth and nose with a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing
- Washing hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available
- And if unwell, avoid contact with others.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this recommendation, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
To download a copy of this Valuation Protocol, click here.
Further Information on the Proposed AGM 2020 Motions
1. The Rationale The history of the API since 1988 reflects the desire on many occasions to broaden our membership base of property professionals. Our Members operate across the property…
How to participate in next week's AGM
Planning on attending next week’s AGM? Find out more about how to register and vote below. Date: Wednesday 27 May 2020 Time: 4:15pm AEST How to register: Members can participate and vote in the proceedings via…
Notification of new NSW State Chair
After 8 Years on the NSW State Committee including 2 years as Vice Chair and 4 years as Chair, I will be stepping down, as State Chair at the end…
2021-2026 APIV New Scheme Survey
Protection of members with capped liability under the APIV Scheme has never been more important than during these unprecedented times. Following our Member News dated 16 April 2020, we are now…
All Members would have received their Notice of AGM earlier this week. As we progress towards the AGM, the API team has put together some further information for Members to…
Logo Image Files and Licence Agreement
The ‘new’ PropertyPRO Supporting Memorandum (PPSM) and associated output reports will ‘go live’ on Sunday 10 May 2020. The API would like to thank all for their patience in the rollout of the…