Our History

90 years

 

 

 

 

 

1926 to 2016
Celebrating 90 years of serving Property Professionals

In 1926 a small group of professionals saw the need for an organisation that would set and maintain the highest standards of skill, behaviour and practice. Through their determination and vision the Australian Property Institute was born.

As part of the API's 90 year celebration, a brief history of the API has been collated below. A more detailed history of the API can be found in "The Australian Institute of Valuers Incorporated - a history" which was produced by the Institute in 1988.

5 November 1926First meeting of the then Commonwealth Institute of Valuers held at the former South Australian Hotel on North Terrace in Adelaide
1927Commonwealth Institute of Valuers Incorporated was incorporated under the South Australian Associations Incorporations Act
1927The motto adopted by the original Council refers to three Latin words 'Prospiciens, Recte, Judicans’ meaning Broad Vision and Balanced Judgement.
1929Queensland Division established
1930Victorian Division established
1931Western Australian Division established
1933New South Wales Division established
1936The first written examinations were conducted Australia wide in March 1936 and the subjects examined were Principles and Practice of Valuation, Law Affecting Land Valuation, Building Construction, Rural Economics, Elementary Surveying and Subdivision of Land and Town Planning. W.B Anderson of South Australia and K.H Henzell of Queensland pass the first examinations.
1941The first Annual Convention of the Institute was held in in 1941.
1949Tasmanian Division established
1962Lesley Bennett, the first female Associate, joined the Institute. Lesley was employed in the Real Estate Office of the Victorian Railways after her graduation from the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT).
1962The General Council agreed in principal to a closer liaison with the Valuers Division of the Real Estate Institute.
1965In April 1965 all members of the Valuers Division of the Real Estate and Stock Institute for Victoria were admitted to membership of the Australian Institute of Valuers.
1974The first Conference of Valuation Lecturers from the education authorities was held at the South Australia Institute of Technology. These conference that were held there regularly were aimed at creating discussion and achieving academic insights into the standard and content of courses, practical expertise in lecturing methods, text book and reading material and technology
1975Due to the inability of many members to attend the Divisional meetings or have a close association with Division activities on account of their geographical location, the General Council in 1975 new By-Law for the establishment of Groups within the Divisions. The purpose of these groups was to provide subdivisions to enabling members to meeting together locally and coordinate localised and relevant Institute activities.
1976The Institute changed its name to Australian Institute of Valuers Incorporated
1978Australian Capital Territory Division established
1988The Institute changed its name to Australian Institute of Valuers & Land Administrators Incorporated
1991The Institute changed its name to Australian Institute of Valuers & Land Economists Incorporated
1998The Institute changed its name to Australian Property Institute Incorporated
2001The Australian Property Institute celebrated its 75th Anniversary at the Hilton Hotel Sydney.
2014Members vote for a change to the API at the Annual AGM. This includes the requirement for a structural review and a report back to Members at the 2015 AGM.
2015A roadmap for change is delivered to the 2015 AGM and endorsed overwhelmingly by Members.
2015An EGM is held to approve a new Constitution for the API. Again, Members support this change overwhelmingly.
2016In line with the changes approved by the Members, the API changed it structure and moved from the Australian Property Institute Incorporated to the Australian Property Institute Limited
TodayAPI retains and enhances its role as the pre-eminent body for property professionals in Australia as it celebrates 90 years of serving our Members.