The Professional Interview is a major component of the application process for Provisional Membership with Residential Property Valuer and for Associate Membership. The interview allows the applicant to demonstrate their knowledge to and to discuss their work samples with the API via its interviewers.
Below is information about the Professional Interview process and what you can expect:
Areas Examined in the Professional Interview
Broad Outline of Depth of Knowledge Required
In the context of the required years of Approved Professional Experience, a broad outline of the depth to which applicants are expected to show a practical application is as follows:
- The applicant must demonstrate a high level of knowledge of and skill in the type of property practice which the applicant has been recently undertaking or has specialised in as listed on the membership application.
- The applicant needs to demonstrate general knowledge beyond any specialist activity currently being undertaken including relevant legislation.
- The professional interview is not a test of rote learning. The applicant is not expected to recite specific details, for example, parts of Acts. However, the applicant must demonstrate knowledge of basic concepts and where and how to locate specific information.
- The applicant must be capable of illustrating the application of property knowledge with sound reasoning.
- Professionalism in the approach of the applicant to his/her work and the professional interview will be considered as part of the application.
Knowledge of the API
All applicants must have an understanding of their responsibilities to the profession (including practice requirements under state valuers’ registration if relevant), the Institute, clients and the public having regard to the Institute’s Constitution and Rules.
Applicants should also be familiar with the Australia and New Zealand Valuation and Property Standards manual which includes the Code of Professional Conduct, Practice Standards and the Continuing Professional Development requirements of the Institute.
Professional Interview Procedures
The professional interview is conducted by at least two members from the Institute (appointed by the Division) and will take approximately an hour to complete. If the applicant is applying for a certification, then the examiners will be experienced in that aspect of property practice.
At the conclusion of the applicant’s participation in the professional interview, the examiners confer privately on the results of the professional interview. They will determine whether the candidate has or has not passed the interview and in some circumstances may offer a continuing interview. If so, they will arrange the conduct of such in consultation with the API staff.
If no further test is suggested, the examiners make their recommendation for subsequent consideration by the Board.