Four o'clock Forum: The Role of the Quantity Surveyor and Implications for Valuations (A170824)
The quantity surveyor plays an integral role as a professional adviser throughout the various stages of the development process.
In the preparation of a feasibility, valuers and other property professionals will typically look to the quantity surveyor for expert guidance on construction costs, timeframes, professional fees, contingency etc.
This session presented by Shane Brandtman, Quantity Surveyor of Mitchell Brandtman, will provide a practical insight into the role of a quantity surveyor including an update on the current state of play within the construction industry.
Topics to be covered include:
- An understanding of what a quantity surveyor (QS) does and how they assist financiers and their clients on a project.
- An explanation on the different types of building contracts
- How does a QS determine cost? How does a QS detemine timframe? How does a QS deal with contamination?
- Dangers of Preliminary, DA Costings or other report types as opposed to bank costings.
- What are some of the triggers that drive costs up?
- What encompasses professional fees? Indicative professional fees allowances (pre/post DA)?
- Indicative construction rates (Canberra) across all sectors (commercial, retail, industrial and residential)
- Current market conditions and an outlook on costs
This technical session is ideal for those undertaking development valuations and/or feasibility assessments across all asset classes, however, is also suitable for those seeking a current update on the construction industry.
View photos from this event.
Shane Brandtman, Director NSW/ACT, Mitchell Brandtman
After completing a Bachelor of Building Construction Management degree, Shane gained two years on site building experience and then in 2001 joined the team at Mitchell Brandtman.
Shane has worked on a range of Residential, Commercial, Industrial, Civil and Aged Care projects up to the value of $150 million. Shane’s QS experience includes the preparation of Bills of Quantities, Cost Planning, Estimating, Contract Administration, Post Contract work and Expenditure Control. Shane has also fulfilled the Superintendent role on several commercial and residential projects up to $50 million. Shane is the Director of the Financier QS Services Team NSW/ACT, and heads the ACT Team.
|5:30pm||Presentation completion followed by canapes and drinks|
Registration Fees (inc GST)
|API Student Member||$48|
Attendance at this event accrues 1.5 CPD points.
Do you need some assistance with your registration?
A comprehensive Frequently Asked Questions section is available to help you with any event registration related question. A few of the common questions are
- How do I register for an event?
- Why am I not receiving the Member rate for this event?
- How do I make payment?
For the full FAQ list please go to https://www.api.org.au/frequently-asked-questions and look for the API Events sub-heading.
Terms and Conditions
View the Event Registration Terms and Conditions
This Forum is open to Members and Non-Members, bring a colleague or a friend and be treated to an informative presentation.