Certified Property Practitioner
A Certified Property Practitioner is a person involved in the property fields of sales, leasing and negotiation, research, education, law, consultancy, finance corporate real estate and government owned or controlled assets.
Applicants can apply for Certified Property Practitioner based on work in sales, leasing and negotiation, research, consultancy and corporate real estate. Certified Property Practitioner can also be applied for by applicants who have a broad range of property experience but do not, at this point in their career, have the experience required to apply for a different certification.
- Applicants for Certified Property Practitioner (Education) must be academics involved in lecturing, full time property teaching and tutoring; or academics involved in property based research.
- Applicants for Certified Property Practitioner (Government) must be an employee working within government.
- Applicants for Certified Property Practitioner (Law) must hold a legal practising certificate
- Applicants for Certified Property Practitioner (Finance) must have sound corporate finance principles, a good knowledge of the real estate and banking and finance industry. A CPP (Finance) member’s role includes, but is not limited to, risk management, credit analysis, originating, structuring, negotiating, executing and on-going management of loan facilities.
All applicants for Associate Membership with Certified Property Practitioner are required to meet the API’s Educational and Experience requirements and provide work samples for review and sit a professional interview.
|Educational||All applicants must meet the API’s academic entry criteria|
|Experience||All applicants must have at least two years of full time or equivalent property experience in property development achieved within the four years immediately prior to the date of application|
|Competence||All applicants are required to sit for and successful pass a Professional Interview|
|Future Property Professionals (FPP)||Not required|
Associate Members are identified by the post-nominal AAPI. A Certified Property Practitioner is also entitled to use their certification of Certified Property Practitioner. Applicants gaining the certification of Certified Property Practitioner in a particular field will use a specific certification as listed below:
- Certified Property Practitioner (Education) ;
- Certified Property Practitioner (Law);
- Certified Property Practitioner (Finance); or
- Certified Property Practitioner (Government).
Associate Members receive unrestricted access to the Institute’s full range of services including member rates on all of our professional development and networking events.
Applicants with existing membership of an organisation which has a reciprocity agreement with the API may have a shortened pathway to membership. For more information, please visit our Membership via Reciprocity page.
What documents will you need to complete your application?
|A copy of your official Academic Transcript which shows your course completion.|
|Three Referees are required. Each of your Referees will need to complete a Referee Report which can either be returned direct to the API or to the applicant to submit with their application.|
|a.||Three examples (work samples) of the applicant’s work are to be submitted.|
|b.||Each work sample must have been completed within the six months prior to the date of application|
|c.||Confidential information can be removed from the work samples, however, please note that all information supplied is treated confidentially by the API and its examiners.|
|d.||Examples of reports or files that can be submitted are outlined below:|
|i.||Feasibility Report / Development Proposal|
|iii.||Property Due Diligence Report|
|iv.||Property Marketing Report|
|v.||Property Business / Asset Plan|
|vi.||Annual Report (e.g. performance against budget)|
|viii.||Transaction File for the Lease Purchase Transaction or for Sale of Property – the file needs to document the process undertaken for the transaction to occur or, if the file is confidential, a one-page summary prepared on the process|
|ix.||Renewal / Rent Review Negotiation File|
|x.||Property Investigation File (investigation undertaken, however, the project did not proceed to a full feasibility study or due diligence stage)|
|xi.||Files or examples of the applicant’s progress through a commercial property law matter|
|e.||If the required reports or files cannot be supplied from the applicant's recent work, then the applicant may be required to prepare these documents.|
|f.||Work samples are required to be uploaded during the application process. Please upload your work samples as pdf files. Hard copy work samples are not required.|
|Applicants must log at least two years of property experience. A new Experience Journal needs to be commenced when your supervisor changes or each quarter, whichever comes first.|
What steps are involved in applying for Associate Membership?
|1.||Click Apply Now (below).|
|2.||Add the Associate Application to your Cart on the following screen.|
|3.||Once you have completed any other purchases you may wish to make, go to your Cart and Checkout.|
|4.||Open My Portal where the steps required to complete your Associate application will appear, including:|
|a.||Supplying information related to your application|
|5.||Once all of the steps listed in your My Portal have been completed, submit your application.|
|6.||The API will contact you with further information detailing the remaining steps, including your Professional Interview, once a review of your application has been completed.|
To apply online for Associate Membership with Certified Property Practitioner, please click Apply Now.
Remember to return to your My Portal after purchasing your Application and making payment to complete your application
- Step by step guide to completing your application
- About the Professional Interview
- Academic Entry Criteria
- Experience Journal template for Associate Membership (Excel)
- Frequently Asked Questions on Membership
- List of Accredited Courses
- Associate Membership Explanatory Notes
- Referee Report template for Associate Membership