Looking for an exciting role with an active and engaged industry organisation?
Look no further!
The Australian Property Institute (the API) is the leading and contemporary membership organisation for property professionals. API sets and maintains the highest standards of professional practice, education, Code of Ethics, and professional conduct for its members and therefore raises the bar for the entire property profession.
We are looking for an Assistant Accountant to join our Finance team.
About This Opportunity
The Assistant Accountant is a full-time role based in Sydney, working three days from the office and two days from home. The Assistant Accountant’s purpose is to support the Finance Team in providing high quality accounting services to API employees and members with a primary focus on Accounts Payable management and report development.
This is a hands-on role working closely with the Financial Accountant and General Manager of Finance. It involves the use of the group’s accounting system (Quickbooks and Calxa), the financial aspects of the group’s CRM system (Microsoft Dynamics 365), and system implementation of new tools or enhancements. This role is also a key liaison for both internal and external stakeholders in matters related to payments.
This role reports to the General Manager of Finance and Company Secretary. The incumbent will exemplify the recognised values and behaviours of API.
Day-to-day duties will include (but not be limited to):
- Day-to-day management of end-to-end accounts payable and vendor processes
- Complete month-end interface and closing of accounts payable module
- Review and upload payment files into banking for vendor and employee payments and obtain proper authorisation in a timely and accurate manner
- Assist Financial Accounts in accounting tasks such as month-end closing, account reconciliations and tax filings
- Support Financial Accountant with annual financial audit and report development
- Assist in financial reports and analysis, support budget and forecast under manager direction
- Participate in system and/or process enhancement initiatives
- Respond to accounting enquiries from internal and external parties in a supportive and helpful manner. Follow through to ensure resolution of outstanding matters
- Involved in accounts receivable tasks such as invoicing and refund
- Perform other duties as directed by manager from time to time
- Contribute to the positive engagement of API culture in the NSW team
- Good foundational accounting knowledge and some knowledge of Australian Accounting Standards through formal education
- Excellent attention to detail to ensure accuracy and completeness of output
- Ability to work within deadlines with established time management, computer, and administrative skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to establish a constructive relationship with all stakeholders, and represent Finance team and API in a collaborative and engaging manner
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a wider team
- An understanding of and the ability to apply WHS and EEO principles
Experience & Qualifications
- Tertiary Accounting/Finance qualification
- Demonstrated experience in accounts payable and accounting roles
- Strong vendor management skills
- Good understanding of internal control concepts and practices, particularly those related to payment and cash handling
- Intermediate Excel skills (vlookup, pivot table)
- An ability to work within a team environment and work autonomously
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness to listen and learn about other Business Units’ processes and pain points to provide more tailored accounting support
- Working towards CPA/CA
- An understanding of the QuickBooks Accounting and Reporting packages.
- Knowledge and/or experience with a membership/not-for-profit organisation Knowledge
- Foundation knowledge of General Accounting Principles and some knowledge of Australian Accounting Standards
You must be an Australian Citizen or the holder of an Australian Permanent Residency Visa to be eligible for this role.
We value diversity and inclusion, and actively encourage applications from those who bring diversity to the API.
What We Offer
- Access to our Member Rewards, such as discounts to The Good Guys, Renault and many more.
- Salary sacrificing options are available to eligible employees, to increase your take-home pay.
- A flexible and supportive workplace, with excellent work-life balance and opportunities for career progression and development.
- A collaborative work environment with a passionate team of people committed to achieving the best outcomes for our employees.
Australian Property Institute